- Power & Gas
- Commodities Trading & Logistics
Principal Areas of Practice
- Energy Supply/Load Forecasting
- Business Strategy
- Operations/Process Improvement
- Performance Management
Charlie is a Managing Director in Opportune LLP’s Process and Technology Practice. Charlie is a senior energy executive with over 30 years of consulting and corporate experience. His areas of expertise include retail energy, power, refining, chemical and management consulting with specialized expertise in energy supply – management systems and organization, business unit integration, and technology implementation. Charlie has the proven ability to tackle complex analytical and organizational problems, solve them effectively, communicate key issues, and lead implementation initiatives.
Prior to joining Opportune, Charlie was SVP Supply & Structuring for Spark Energy’s retail power and gas operations in 44 utilities. At Reliant Energy, he was VP Retail Energy Supply responsible for load forecasting, pricing, gross margin forecasting and major systems implementations to support deregulation. Prior to his power experience, Charlie had extensive refining experience as EVP of Koch’s Corpus Refining and Chemicals business and multiple roles with Exxon. He also has consulting experience with McKinsey & Co. and Sirius Solutions.
- Developed supply organization strategy and integration processes for a major ERCOT power retailer. Study required analysis of alternate pricing models, internal processes to integrate marketing and supply/trading organizations, performance metrics, and organizational structures. Successful implementation required joint client review of fact based analysis of options, consensus building between disparate groups, and detailed implementation planning.
- Developed custom built load forecasting and gross margin tools for Canadian power retailer. Built complex IT systems based on bottom-up customer analytics. Challenging integration of systems and senior management roles and perspectives between supply, finance, risk, forecasting, IT, marketing, and customer operations groups.
- Built successful outsourced load forecasting service to serve power retailers. Led business from idea conception to development to customer acquisition to ongoing operations. Served ERCOT, PJM, NYISO, ISO-NE markets. Oversaw business strategy, business development, and operations.
- Led an extensive profit improvement program for a large, mid-continent refining, lube, petrochemical complex. Captured $180 MM in cost improvements and yield improvements by enhanced modeling and integration with trading organization.