Gauthier van Marcke
- Power & Gas
- Commodities Trading & Logistics
Principal Areas of Practice
- LNG import terminal development (onshore & floating)
- Single and multi user LNG import terminal capacity agreements (TUA and TCP)
- LNG sourcing, procurement and SPA negotiations
- LNG export project development and due diligence
- LNG liquefaction tolling agreements
- LNG import and export project feasibility studies
- Gas sale agreements
- Project commercial structuring
- Fuel substitution for power plants
- NA Interstate pipelines and transportation agreements
Gauthier joined Opportune in January 2016 as a Managing Director with over 20 years of technical, commercial development, and corporate strategy and development experience in the LNG, natural gas and financial services sectors. Gauthier’s areas of focus are to advise on and support the development of onshore and floating LNG import projects, including infrastructure development, LNG procurement and gas sales; fuel substitution projects for power generation; leading multi-disciplinary feasibility studies for natural gas monetization strategies, including LNG exports; leading multi-disciplinary feasibility studies for the import and used of LNG in greenfield or existing power plants and industrial applications; and evaluating and conducting due diligence on LNG export projects in North America on behalf of investors and capacity holders. Prior to joining Opportune, Gauthier was a Managing Director at Galway Group where he led numerous commercial and project development engagements for clients in North America, South America, Caribbean, Central America, Africa and the Middle East. He holds a B.S. in mechanical engineering from the University of Pennsylvania and an M.B.A from the A.B. Freeman School of Business at Tulane University.
- Advised South Africa’s national oil company (PetroSA) on the development of a greenfield LNG importation project, including advice on project development plan, project structure, terminal location and configuration, LNG supply acquisition, partnership strategy, and internal and external stakeholder management.
- Led the evaluation of the potential for fuel oil substitution with natural gas for power generators and electric utilities in the Caribbean and$ Central America. Conducted a feasibility study for the use of small scale LNG for the U.S. Virgin$ Islands Water and Power Authority (WAPA). Developed supply and infrastructure development strategy advised WAPA on LPG$ substitution and negotiations$ with LPG supplier for bundled LPG supply and infrastructure contract. advised on execution and implementation of the related power plant conversion and LPG supply/infrastructure initiatives.
- Advised operator of greenfield East Africa LNG export project on project structuring and project implementation strategy to optimize monetization of significant new gas reserve base within constraints of production sharing contract with government.
- Advise an existing U.S. Gulf Coast LNG import terminal on the development and implementation of an export project, including gas supply access and pipeline transportation availability and constraint assessment. Advised owner on multi user Terminal Use Agreement negotiations and subsequent TUA implementation, including leading the development of a multi user terminal scheduling and inventory management planning system.
- Advised Canadian and Asia E&P companies on monetization strategies for gas reserves in British Columbia including an economic, gas transportation, and technical feasibility study for LNG export projects.
- Advised the E&P subsidiary of a European integrated energy company on a U.S. gas market entry and vertical integration strategy including in depth economic evaluation of North American shale gas plays and gas gathering, processing and transmission infrastructure evaluation.
- Led development, documentation, and delivery of LNG procurement process for the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA), achieving multiple valid offers in an extremely challenging supplier dominated market. Developed LNG$ and natural gas infrastructure development strategy and execution plan. Advised PREPA and Government Development Bank of Puerto Rico on LNG infrastructure development and LNG procurement negotiations, including negotiations of infrastructure development and construction agreements for an FSRU-based import terminal.