- Oilfield Services
- Power & Gas
- Commodities Trading & Logistics
Principal Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy & Restructuring
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Dispute Resolution
- Process & Technology
John is a Partner in Opportune’s Energy Consulting Practice. John has over 30 years of business experience, including six years as a senior executive in the energy industry. John was a partner with Arthur Andersen’s audit practice serving energy clients in Andersen’s Houston and New Orleans offices. John left Andersen to join Enron’s wholesale energy trader, serving as Managing Director in both commercial and commercial support roles. At Enron, John assisted in the structuring of complex gas supply contracts as well as the design of complex integrated power and gas arrangements. John managed development of systems and processes for expansion of the group into deregulated power, and commodity trading in the UK. John has extensive experience in evaluating and remediating commodity risk management functions. John also served on the deal team which negotiated Enron’s acquisition of Portland General, a Northwest-based integrated utility.
John also provides extensive support for energy-related bankruptcies and restructuring, providing both creditor and debtor-side support, including litigation support, claims administration, and testimony for debtor-in-possession financing.
- Led Debtor-side financial advisory project for a large upstream operator in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico, providing testimony in support of a large initial DIP loan. John managed the Opportune team of professionals providing information for lenders and the Court throughout the case, including claims management and litigation support.
- Provided long-term support for an integrated utility dealing with the impact of gas on coal dispatch competition, including developing a long-term framework for the Chief Risk Officer, and executing on numerous projects to increase the utility’s ability to contract and manage commodity risk across coal, gas, nuclear and renewables.
- Provided long term commercial and technology improvements to an independent power producer following significant losses, including development of improved trading and governance policies, improved commercial strategies, and improved use of an existing ETRM platform used to measure and manage risk.