- Oilfield Services
- Power & Gas
Principal Areas of Practice
- Financial Reporting of Income Taxes (ASC 740)
- Mergers, Acquisitions, & Divestitures
- Initial Public Offerings
- Structured Finance and Leasing
- Tax Function Analysis
- Bankruptcy & Restructuring
Lynn is a Managing Director at Opportune with responsibilities in the Transaction Services and Tax practice areas. Lynn has over 30 years of business experience, ultimately becoming an M&A partner at Arthur Andersen LLP, and then Deloitte Tax. While in public practice, he served clients in numerous transaction support roles including planning, structuring and execution assistance, and financial reporting of income taxes. He provided firm wide technical support in SFAS No. 109/ASC 740 matters, Subchapter C (corporate) events, and lease and structured financings arrangements. He was a panelist before the FIN 48 working group of the FASB, and has represented clients and provided testimony before the Internal Revenue Service national office. Lynn’s practice currently focuses on the application of this experience to Opportune’s energy-focused clients in support of the Firm’s business lines. Lynn is a licensed CPA in the State of Texas.
- Provided transaction support for a variety of domestic and international energy-related acquisitions and divestitures in oil and gas exploration and production, oil field services, natural gas transportation and processing, and drill rig structured finance.
- Led specialty project teams in classifying and reporting on over $2 billion in lease finance assets.
- Identified significant cash tax savings from “golden parachute” arrangements in public-to-public trancastions.
- Provided technical and industry-related commentary to the IRS National Office on proposal of Treasury Regulations regarding leases with deferred payments.
- Served as bridge tax management for energy concerns in organizational transition, including IPOs, bankruptcies, office relocations, and major management changes.
- Lead team that successfully obtained a tax-free spin-off ruling of a retail electric provider.