- Commodities Trading & Logistics
Principal Areas of Practice
- Business Strategy & Process Improvement
- M&A Due Diligence & Transition Integration
- Packaged Software Selection, Design & Implementation
- IT Governance & Program Management
Matt is a Partner in Opportune’s Energy Consulting Practice. Matt brings over 21 years of experience in global refining and marketing, pipelines and transportation (liquids and gas), exploration & production, petrochemicals and mining, encompassing corporate strategy, operations, transportation, marketing and back-office processes. His primary focus areas include mergers & acquisitions, business operations and planning, energy trading and risk management, manufacturing execution systems, supply chain management, logistics, asset maintenance and reliability, and leading large scale business transformation initiatives.
Prior to joining Opportune, Matt led the M&A and Commercial Systems groups for Petroplus Marketing AG, the largest independent refining and marketing company in Europe. Prior to Petroplus, Matt held senior leadership positions in other consulting firms where he managed multiple global clients through large scale business improvement programs, including the privatization and IPOs of the Chinese NOCs.
- Led Commercial and IT merger & acquisition activity in N. America for Independent Refining and Marketing Company. Led acquisition due diligence and transition efforts for 3 North American refining and marketing entities over 9 month period. Acting IT Director for Acquisitions, Corporate Applications and Compliance. Led programs to deploy core business applications supporting finance/accounting, plant maintenance, HR, and commercial.
- Led development of Business Process and IT Strategy for start-up midstream JV. Led cross-functional workshops identifying key business requirements across Finance, Commercial, Operations, HSE, and Maintenance/Procurement. Led development of executive recommendations and board package outlining 3 year investment plan for IT.
- Led due diligence and integration efforts for a leading European Independent Refining Company for acquisition of 5 new refining and marketing entities (UK, Belgium and France) for Finance, Commercial and IT organizations. Total deal value of approximately $3.5billion. Managed integration team size of 75 people. Directly managed annual capital budgets of $25-30MM.
- Completed organization redesign and strategic business plan for the Refining and Marketing business units of one of China’s largest NOCs. Completed a full market analysis and identified key strategic initiatives in advance of the company’s initial public offering. Performed full market analysis for refining and marketing organizations. Assessed current refining and transportation operations and identified key performance improvement opportunities.