- Oilfield Services
Principal Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy & Corporate Restructuring
- Reorganization Plan Development
- Debtor, Creditor & Equity Holder Advisory
- Complex Litigation
- Leveraged Finance & Credit Analysis
- Distressed Mergers & Acquisitions & Capital Raising
- Business Plan Development & Review
Ryan is a Managing Director in the Restructuring practice of Opportune. He focuses on financial and operational restructuring, and has significant experience in reorganization plan development, negotiation and implementation, corporate recapitalizations, distressed valuation, effecting forbearances, waivers, and amendments, capital raising, distressed M&A, liquidity management, business plan development and review, and litigation support. Ryan has advised debtors, creditors, and equity holders on restructurings and special situations – both in- and out-of-court – across the energy spectrum an in other related industries. Prior to joining Opportune, Ryan was a vice president in the restructuring group at Duff & Phelps Securities (f/k/a Chanin Capital Partners). Before that, he worked at Panagos Katz Situational Investing – a special situations fund – and began his career in the leveraged finance group at J.P. Morgan.
Ryan received a B.A., magna cum laude, in International Relations and Economics from Tufts University and a J.D. from Wake Forest University School of Law. He holds the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”) Series 63 and 79 licenses.
- Advised numerous debtors and official and ad hoc stakeholder committees in the context of chapter 11 bankruptcy in jurisdictions including Delaware, New York, Florida, and Texas.
- Secured lender and steering committee advisory.
- Chief Restructuring Officer of an oilfield services company.
- Structured and implemented competing reorganization plans on behalf of noteholders and lenders, including a $3.0 billion unsolicited takeover of a debtor during bankruptcy following a highly-contested and protracted, but ultimately successful valuation fight in open court.
- Prepared expert reports on matters with respect to valuation, liquidity, value distribution, capital structure, and feasibility.
- Valued and analyzed certain illiquid derivative interests in an E&P company in connection with a potential acquisition.
- Engaged in multiple extended and highly complex bankruptcy litigations, developing overall strategy and expert testimony, prosecuting avoidance actions and fraudulent conveyances, and drafting pleadings and regular way documents.
- Managed several M&A and capital raising efforts for both distressed and healthy companies across a variety of industries.
- Built any number of complex financial models for valuation purposes and leveraged buyouts, evaluating restructuring scenarios, analyzing cash flows, and tracking value distribution and stakeholder recovery.