PRINCIPAL AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Strategy & Organization
- Corporate Restructuring Services
- Process Improvement
- Financial Due Diligence
- Technical Accounting Research
- Financial Reporting Matters
- Strategy & Organizational Consulting
James, a Managing Director for Opportune, has over 25 years of client service and industry experience. Prior to joining Opportune, James worked as a director for a Houston based consulting firm in the area of risk and controls, as Controller for a $135 million oilfield service firm, as CFO of a construction company, as a finance manager for and international E&P company and in the audit department of Deloitte & Touche.
- Served in a variety of roles for portfolio companies of private equity providers. Roles include process improvement and reporting related to accounting and cash flow management, acquisition due diligence, quality of earnings assessments, and technical accounting support.
- Served as a Financial Advisor to a Debtor in Possession. Work included detailed analysis of financial instruments and transactions, operational budgeting, reviewing and supervising the creation of court related schedules, providing vendor and operational support for a critical capital project, and developing reporting and approval processes for the capital project for the various constituencies and Company management.
- Provided strategy consulting for public entity. Project included a comprehensive study of the effectiveness and efficiency of the entity as compared to other public and private organizations involved in similar operations . The study included a review of the entity’s current functions, business practices and processes as well as recommendations of new, value added activities that the entity could begin to undertake. The review also included a compensation study in order to benchmark current salary structure against industry peers.
- Provided inputs in the conceptual design and subsequent creation of specialized risk books for coal and coal transport for one of the largest coal consumers in the United States. Tasks included detailed review of coal and coal transport contracts, analysis of key points of optionality, and providing key data points for both the coal book and the manually built transportation risk book. Gained understanding of client’s coal supply and demand and the logistics around the delivery of coal.