Principal Areas of Practice
- Fairness/Solvency Opinions
- M&A Transaction Advisory
- Capital Advisory & Private Placements
- Structured Transactions
James Hanson is a Managing Director with Opportune Partners LLC, an investment banking and financial advisory affiliate of Opportune LLP, a leading global energy business advisory firm. James has nearly 30 years of commercial and investment banking, capital raising and M&A transaction advisory experience. Prior to joining Opportune, James served as Managing Director, Energy Transaction Opinions for all energy subsectors, at Duff & Phelps where he advised and executed 70 engagements representing over $50 billion of transaction value. These transactions included fairness opinions, solvency opinions, debt opinions and reasonably equivalent value opinions. James began his career specializing in energy investment banking at Salomon Brothers, Bear Stearns and Barclays Capital where he advised a wide variety of large cap and mid cap energy companies in M&A and public capital markets transactions, raising over $25 billion for his clients. James holds an MBA in Finance from The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania and a B.S. in Finance from the University of Illinois. He received the chartered financial analyst (CFA) designation and is a FINRA Series 7, Series 24 and Series 63 registered representative.
REPRESENTATIVE PROJECTS (INCLUDING THOSE COMPLETED AT PRIOR FIRMS)
- Advised the board of directors of EQT and provided a solvency opinion regarding their spin-off of Equitrans Midstream.
- Advised the conflicts committee of Delek Logistics and provided a fairness opinion for a drop-down transaction.
- Provided a fairness opinion to NGP Energy Capital regarding the combination of portfolio companies in three separate funds.
- Provided a reasonably equivalent value opinion to Sage Natural Resources regarding their acquisition of Barnett shale assets from Titan Energy.
- Provided a fairness opinion to an oilfield service provider regarding four management agreements with an affiliate.
- Advised a private equity fund on the value of 16 terminals owned by a public MLP.
- Provided a solvency opinion regarding a dividend from Shelf Drilling to shareholders.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Oil & Gas Financial Journal: “Taking a Closer Look at MLPs: Steps a Company or Board Should Take when Examining Conflict Transactions” by James Hanson.
- Midstream Business Magazine: “Addressing Potential LP/GP Conflicts” by James Hanson.
- Midstream Business Magazine: “General Partner Valuation Issues: Simple or Complex, the relationship between general partner and limited partner interests in master limited partnerships can be very dynamic” by James Hanson.
- Midstream Business Magazine: “Midstream Investing Picks up Where E&P Leaves Off” Article quotes James Hanson.
- Becker’s Hospital Review: “Considerations for REIT or MLP Formation by Healthcare Not-for-Profit Organizations” by James Hanson and Laca Wong-Hammond.
- S&P Capital IQ Energy Symposium – Panelist for “The Energy M&A Landscape”.
- Houston ACG Luncheon – Panelist for “How Will Tax Reform Impact M&A”.
- Houston CPA Society Annual Energy Conference – Panelist for “Energy/Capital Markets Panel”.