- Oilfield Services
- Power & Gas
- Commodities Trading & Logistics
PRINCIPAL AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Technical Research
- SEC Reporting
- Financial Due Diligence
- Reviews Contract & Derivative Instruments
Josh is the Partner in charge of the Complex Financial Reporting group of Opportune, including oversight of the firm’s Denver and Tulsa offices. Josh has 20 years of experience in providing clients across the energy spectrum with technical research, capital markets and SEC reporting assistance. Josh and his team of over 30 professionals have led all financial statement and disclosure aspects of the IPO process for over two dozen clients within the E&P, midstream, oilfield service and power sectors. In addition, he assists over 100 clients annually with researching, concluding and reporting for the most complex transactions affecting their businesses. Prior to joining Opportune, Josh worked in the audit and global energy markets department with Deloitte & Touche, where he managed the audits of regulated gas and electric utilities, independent power producers, and energy trading entities.
Josh previously served on the board of directors as Audit Committee Chairman of JP Energy GP II LLC (MLP), Trans Energy, Inc and Voyager Oil & Gas (Emerald Oil). Specifically, as the Lead Independent Director of Trans Energy, Josh initiated and led the company’s successful restructuring and ultimate sale to EQT – a transaction recognized by the M&A Advisor as a winner for the 2017 M&A Deal of the Year ($100MM-$200MM).
Outside of Opportune, Josh has been involved in several community and school activities, including as a past Board Member and Audit Chair of the Literacy Council of Fort Bend County. Josh currently serves as Chairman Emeritus of the American Heart Association’s Paul “Bear” Bryant Award honoring college football’s Coach of the Year. Josh also currently serves on the Dean’s Energy Task Force and Executive Council of the Energy Management Program at The University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business.
- Leads all aspects of clients’ IPO process, including identifying and resolving SEC reporting issues; drafting the Registration Statement; managing the audit process; and drafting SEC pre-clearance letters, pro forma financial statements and responses to SEC comment letters.
- Leads technical consultations on the most complex transactions for Opportune’s clients, in which the firm serves as a liaison and advocate for its clients when working with their Board, external auditor or the SEC. Representative transactions include, but are not limited to: variable interest entities and structured transactions; business combinations; energy trading and derivatives; embedded derivatives; stock-based compensation; convertible securities; oil and gas conveyances; and implementations of new FASB Codification Standards, such as Revenue Recognition and Leases.
- Previously served as interim Chief Accounting Officer for Memorial Production Partners LP (now Amplify) and Southern Union (now a subsidiary of Energy Transfer).
- Technical advisor to Opportune’s oil and gas back-office outsourcing clients (client base exceeding 200 entities) on best practices related to the recordkeeping, valuation and disclosure of their activities, which include operated and non-operated working interests, royalty and profit interests, and private equity/joint venture investments.