PRINCIPAL AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Mergers & Acquisitions Integration
- Midstream Pipelines & Storage Operations
- Lease Crude Gathering & Marketing
- Oil, Gas, & Natural Gas Liquids Trading & Marketing
- Operational Process Design, Improvement & Automation
- Software Selection & Implementation
Kurt leads Opportune’s Midstream Practice and has over 22 years of diverse, energy supply, pipelines, trading and risk management experience. Kurt has worked extensively with midstream companies helping them manage the impacts and demands of domestic shale oil and gas production on their business processes, people, and systems. Kurt has led the business integration activities for multiple midstream acquisitions.
While Kurt currently heads Opportune’s Midstream practice, he has consulted in many other areas of the energy industry (E&P, trading, refining, marketing, transportation and logistics) and with several types of commodities (physical and financial oil, natural gas, and NGL’s). He is recognized for his broad industry knowledge and ability to define both strategic and practical solutions for some of the most challenging processes and organizations.
- Led the integration of three natural gas and crude midstream companies. The integration covered all facets of a midstream company including Operations, Engineering, Accounting, Facilities, HR, IT, EHS, Legal, Procurement, and Commercial functions. Opportune worked closely with the C-Level executives and their leadership teams to implement their strategies across a diverse set of acquired companies and cultures.
- Led the corporate finance consolidation and SEC reporting integration efforts required after a very large MLP purchased one of their publicly traded portfolio companies.
Advised the CIO of a natural gas midstream company on Day 1 preparation and cutover activities for their acquisition of 3 gas pipelines from a super-major. Opportune also performed many of the assimilations tasks.
- Led the software selection and implementation for a large midstream gas and liquids processor with gathering, gas plant, storage, and pipeline systems across the United States. The selection covered the business areas of ETRM, gas pipeline operations, and NGL pipeline and storage operations. Kurt led the requirements gathering, RFP, software selection, and business case development efforts.
Implemented OpenLink’s Right Angle software with the Lease Center module for the second largest marketer of crude in the Baaken area. The solution covered extensive lease gathering activities with truck, rail, pipeline, and storage logistics. The marketing solution was integrated with the upstream revenue accounting system. Kurt led the requirements gathering, RFP, software selection, and implementation phases of the project.
- Implemented ESI’s Synthesis software for a common stream crude pipeline company with extensive gathering, mainline, and storage activities in the Baaken area. The solution covered nominations, ticketing, inventory tracking, charge calculations, invoice generations, and tariff management. Kurt led the requirements gathering, RFP, software selection, and implementation phases of the project.
- Managed the development of a crude via rail business process and integration strategy for a large North American refiner. The refiner is capitalizing on the value of domestic crude via rail but needs a way to automate the scheduling, tracking, actualization, and settlement of several thousand rail cars. The solution leveraged rail carrier integration from Bourque Data Systems and transactional processing of SAP TSW.