PRINCIPAL AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Financial Reporting of Income Taxes (ASC 740)
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Divestitures
- Initial Public Offerings
- Structured Finance & Leasing
- Tax Function Analysis
- Bankruptcy & Restructuring
Lynn is a Managing Director in charge of Transaction Services and Tax Advisory for Opportune. He has over 30 years of corporate tax and accounting experience with Big Five public accounting and similar professional services firms.
Prior to joining Opportune, Lynn served clients in both relationship and specialty roles ultimately as a partner at Arthur Andersen and Deloitte, and as a Managing Director at Alvarez & Marsal. He has advised both public and private companies in the oil and gas, oilfield service, public utility and service industries. Lynn has significant experience in mergers and acquisitions, roll-ups, spin-offs, IPOs, lease and project finance, and troubled debt restructurings and bankruptcies. His assignments include engagement and transactional responsibility for tax planning and compliance matters, accounting for income taxes, leases, transactional due diligence, representation before the Internal Revenue Service national office for ruling requests, valuation engagements and expert testimony before bankruptcy and other courts.
Lynn was a panelist before the FIN 48 working group at FASB, and has been a frequent presenter on contemporary tax and accounting topics before groups such as the Houston Bar Association, the Oklahoma Statue University Oil & Gas Accounting Conference, the AICPA Energy Conference, the Tax Executives Institute, the University of Mississippi Accountancy Program, and accounting firm internal firm wide technical training. He was a member of firm wide teams specializing in Subchapter C (corporate taxation), leasing and ASC Topic 740 at Andersen. He received his B.B.A. in accountancy from the University of Mississippi, and became a Certified Public Accountant in 1979. Lynn is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and holds active CPA licenses in the states of Mississippi and Texas.
- Provides transaction support for a variety of domestic and international energy-related acquisitions and divestitures in oil and gas exploration and production, oil field services, natural gas transportation and processing, and drill rig structured finance, including IPOs (combination and carve-out) and bankruptcy emergence.
- Supervises preparation and documentation of income tax provision (Topic 740) and reporting for energy industry SEC registrants, including leading technical discussions with external auditors.
- Drafts and communicates responses to SEC Staff comments and discussion with Staff on tax matters relating to SEC filings.
- Led specialty project teams in classifying and reporting on over $2 billion in lease finance assets.
- Identified over $6 million in cash tax savings from “golden parachute” arrangements in public-to-public merger.
- Provided technical and industry-related commentary to the IRS National Office on proposal of Treasury Regulations governing certain leases with deferred payments.
- Served as bridge/crisis tax management for energy concerns going public, restating financial statements, or in bankruptcy