- Commodities Trading & Logistics
PRINCIPAL AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Business Strategy, Organization Design & Process Improvement
- M&A Due Diligence & Transition Integration
- Software Selection, Design & Implementation
- IT Governance & Program Management
Matt is a Partner in Opportune’s Energy Consulting Practice and leads its Downstream Industry Sector. Matt brings nearly 25 years of experience in global refining and marketing, midstream pipelines and transportation (liquids and gas), exploration & production, petrochemicals and mining, encompassing corporate strategy, operations, transportation, marketing and back-office functions. His primary focus areas include mergers & acquisitions, business operations and planning, energy trading and risk management, manufacturing execution systems, supply chain management, logistics, asset maintenance and reliability, and leading large scale business transformation initiatives.
Prior to joining Opportune, Matt led the M&A and Commercial Systems groups for Petroplus Marketing AG, the largest independent refining and marketing company in Europe. Prior to Petroplus, Matt held senior leadership positions in other consulting firms where he managed multiple global clients through large-scale business improvement programs, including the privatization and IPOs of the Chinese NOCs.
- Led Commercial and IT merger & acquisition activity in N. America for Independent Refining and Marketing Company. Led acquisition due diligence and transition efforts for 5 refining and marketing entities. Acting IT Director for Acquisitions, Corporate Applications and Compliance. Led programs to deploy core business applications supporting finance/accounting, plant maintenance, HR, and commercial trading and risk management.
- Led development of commercial mid-office and risk management function for US Independent Refining and Marketing company. Establish commercial risk policy, including trader limits, trading controls and commercial governance framework. Executed scoping study for deployment of fit for purpose ETRM solution to support commercial activities.
- Led development of commercial risk policy and governance for European refining and marketing company. Led selection, design and implementation of best-in-class ETRM solution to support crude and refined products commercial activities.
- Led due diligence and integration efforts for a leading European Independent Refining Company for acquisition of 5 new refining and marketing entities (UK, Belgium and France) for Finance, Commercial and IT organizations. Total deal value of approximately $3.5billion. Managed integration team size of 75 people. Directly managed annual capital budgets of $25-30MM.
- Completed organization redesign and strategic business plan for the Refining and Marketing business units of one of China’s largest NOCs. Completed a full market analysis and identified key strategic initiatives in advance of the company’s initial public offering. Performed full market analysis for refining and marketing organizations. Assessed current refining and transportation operations and identified key performance improvement opportunities.