PRINCIPAL AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Downstream & Upstream Oil & Gas
- Business and IT Strategy development
- Complex Project Planning, Estimation & Management
- SAP Program Design, Leadership & Custom Development
Stephen is a Managing Director in Opportune’s Process and Technology practice. Stephen is an industry veteran with over 20 years of experience working for many of the largest oil and gas companies in the world. His experience includes developing IT solutions for downstream, chemicals and upstream business sectors.
During his career, he has led several successful efforts to extend and innovate on base SAP capabilities to meet the business requirements across the petrochemical supply chain, including: trading, risk management, primary and secondary distribution, fuels marketing, retail, lubricants pricing, crude marketing and sales, and feedstocks and chemicals.
Stephen’s primary focus at Opportune is developing enterprise-wide IT strategies and solutions for downstream and chemical companies. He possesses deep expertise across the full IT lifecycle, from IT strategy inception to project implementation.
Stephen holds a Bachelor of Science in Economics from the Wharton School of Business of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Lead architect for the design and development of a SAP based custom build trading solution which has been successfully deployed across a super major’s global trading offices, US, and Canadian affiliates. This solution delivered physical trade capture capabilities for spot, term, buy/sell, exchange, and terminalling as well as financial trade capabilities for swaps, options, futures, and carbon credits across the crude, refined products, exchange, NGL, sulfur, and petcoke product groups. In addition to trade capture, the solution provided automated contract output including ICE eConfirm integration, closed loop risk management controls, on-line position management, and full integration with operations and back office functions. The project was delivered under budget and allowed the client to make significant reductions in the administrative functions supporting trading.
- Stephen worked for a top strategy consulting firm providing advice to major oil companies around business/IT strategy alignment, IT roadmap development, and large IT Program management. During this time, he developed a methodology for aligning five-year IT investment plans with regional business strategies, helped build a PMO organization for a major upstream SAP program, and helped a global oil major and a global automotive company turn around under-performing programs.
- He also worked for 11 years at big 5 consulting company leading major SAP program s in the Energy and Chemicals space. He was the phase 2 lead for a super major oil company’s $800MM global ERP program. He was also led the development of the SAP TSW tools for supply chain planning for refined products in the US, Southeast Asia, and African affiliates during the first phase of the ERP program. Previous to those efforts, Stephen was the consulting lead and global integration architect for a global supply chain planning tool development project with Aspentech for a global supermajor. Before that program, he led the Supply Chain and Order-to-Cash consulting teams developing an SAP ERP system for the US downstream companies of global super major, Stephen led the development of trade capture, pricing, settlement, and tax functionality for the Crude, Supply, Products Supply, NGL, Fuels Marketing, Aviation, Marine, and Lubricants. At the conclusion of that successful effort, he led the logistics area for the expansion of that system to handle the merger of two of the largest downstream business units in the US.