Principal Areas of Practice
- Corporate & Operational Finance
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Divestitures
- Process Improvements & Tax Technology
- SOX Compliance/Best Practices
- MLP Tax Structures
- Strategic & Operational Tax Planning
Shaun Ahn is a Managing Director and Practice Leader of Opportune LLP’s Tax Advisory group in Houston. Shaun has nearly 20 years of corporate and operational tax advisory, tax law, accounting, financial reporting and legal experience with major energy companies and Big 4 accounting professional services firms. Prior to Opportune, Shaun was Head of Tax at Westlake Chemical Corp. In this role, he was responsible for the company’s overall tax function. This included successfully executing the Axiall and Nakan acquisitions and integrating the tax functions, initiating new tax planning strategies and financing structures, process improvements and tax technology, MLP transactions, as well as providing M&A support, deal modeling, and management preparation, among other duties. Shaun began his career specializing in corporate and operational tax advisory at PwC, ExxonMobil, Occidental Petroleum Corp., Weatherford International Ltd. and Shell Oil Co.
Shaun holds a B.S. degree in Business Administration from Central Washington University. He earned his MBA and J.D. degrees from Rutgers University and holds an LLM post-graduate law degree from New York University School of Law. Shaun is a licensed attorney admitted to practice in the States of Pennsylvania and the District of Columbia.
- Successfully executed Westlake’s acquisition of Axiall Corp. and Nakan, and integrated tax function.
- Led IPO of Shell Midstream Partners LP.
- Led Occidental Petroleum’s disposition of its Argentine business.
- Executed Occidental Petroleum’s acquisition of Phibro, Oxy’s commodities business.