Akin Gump Hosts Briefing on “The New Energy Paradigm” Featuring Opportune Partner Sean Clements
Akin Gump hosted a briefing on February 25th, titled “The New Energy Paradigm: Investing and Operating in the Current Market,” examining the continuing challenges, opportunities and risks in the energy market.
Held in Akin Gump’s Houston office and moderated by energy partner John Goodgame, the panel included other energy partners Shubi Arora, Andy Lehman, and Steve Davis; tax partner Alison Chen; and financial restructuring partner Sarah Shultz. They were joined by experienced financial and industry professionals from Avista Capital Partners, Houlihan Lokey, Opportune, Orion Energy Partners and Simmons & Co.
Some of the questions addressed included the following:
- What’s the outlook for energy M&A and where are the opportunities?
- How are parties seeking to bridge the “bid-ask” spread to get deals done?
- How is debt affecting M&A activity?
- What is the financial environment like today?
- Why have some debt exchanges succeeded where others failed?
- What financial restructuring issues are companies and investors not focusing on?
- What tax considerations do companies and investors need to be paying attention to?
- What is the state of play with midstream acreage dedications in bankruptcy?
- How will midstream providers react to potential contract rejections?
- What will an MLP bankruptcy look like?
- What should companies and directors be doing now?