Principle Areas of Practice
- Energy Finance & Accounting
- Financial Planning & Analysis
- M&A, A&D and Capital Raising
- Structured Transactions
- Transactional Support, Due Diligence & Integration Outsourcing
- Back-Office & Operational Support
Trent Determann is a Partner at Opportune LLP and leads the firm’s Outsourcing group. He focuses on assisting companies with various business-related activities, including strategic initiatives, business analytics, financial reporting, transaction support and due diligence, and back-office outsourcing. He has extensive experience working in a variety of management and financial roles in the upstream sector while also managing oil and gas marketing and midstream relationships. Prior to joining Opportune, Trent was the CFO at Rebellion Energy II LLC where he was responsible for all financial, accounting, treasury, and risk management business activities. Prior to Rebellion, he was the Vice President of Finance at Gastar Exploration Inc. where he led multiple teams that focused on M&A, capital markets, financial modeling, business strategy, crude and gas marketing, and reservoir engineering. Prior to Gastar, he was the Financial Planning Manager at PetroPoint Energy Partners LP where his primary responsibilities included financial modeling, A&D evaluation, and business analytics. Before moving to PetroPoint, Trent worked for the Energy Investment Banking group of RBC Capital Markets and the Commercial Lending group of BBVA Compass.
Trent earned a B.S. in Finance from Louisiana State University. Trent was also selected as an honoree in Hart Energy’s 2017 “Forty Under 40” for his exemplary achievements during his tenure at Gastar.
- Developed and maintained processes used for accessing data related to business analytics and improved communication between various company departments for multiple upstream companies.
- Formed corporate structures and investment platforms, including establishing a midstream subsidiary for a private E&P company and the design and execution of a Joint Development Agreement (JDA) for participation in a new D&C program for an upstream investment vehicle.
- Organized and managed the execution of cost cutting initiatives, including G&A, LOE, Capex and contract negotiation.
- Structured and negotiated midstream and marketing contracts, including acreage dedications, fee relief deals and prior period adjustment (PPA) settlements.
- Created numerous financial models used for projecting cash flows and analyzing the impacts of potential strategic decisions related to capital budgets, acquisitions, divestitures, and financing events.
- Evaluated and executed financing transactions and A&D opportunities for several companies. Reviewed capital structures, forms of consideration, financial and reservoir model assumptions and calculations, G&A budgets, midstream statements, and marketing arrangements.
- Led efforts at various E&P companies on multiple capital raises, A&D transactions, and mergers for total consideration of more than $1.0 billion.
- Assisted debtors, creditors, and official ad hoc stakeholder committee members on a variety of restructuring-related projects totaling more than $12.0 billion in liabilities.