Principle Areas of Practice
- Energy Finance & Accounting
- Complex Financial Reporting & Accounting Research
- Capital Markets
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Divestitures
- Structured Financing Transactions
- Financial Planning, Analysis & Due Diligence
- Transactional Support, Due Diligence & Integration
- Business & Digital Transformation Strategy Development & Implementation
Aniq is a Managing Director & President of Outsourcing at Opportune, where he and his team are responsible for providing tailored solutions to various clients on broad business strategies, including corporate initiatives, financial reporting, operational accounting, transaction support, and back-office optimization.
Aniq has over 20 years of leading financial accounting and reporting experience, including mergers and acquisitions, financial due-diligence, capital formation, deal structuring, execution, and post-acquisition integration. Prior to joining Opportune, Aniq was Corporate Controller at Generate Capital, PBC, a leading diversified sustainable infrastructure company focused on delivering affordable and reliable solutions. He led all aspects of the controllership function, overseeing complex accounting and financial reporting, including technical accounting consultations related to investments, acquisitions and divestitures, and post-acquisition integration. Aniq’s career also includes serving as Vice President & Financial Controller of Targa Resources and Sr. Director, Technical Accounting & Special Projects of Freeport-McMoRan Oil & Gas, where his responsibilities extended to developing productive and efficient Corporate Accounting and Financial Reporting functions, while also providing leadership on strategy-influencing business and financial objectives. Aniq began his career working for 10 years in public accounting, primarily with EY LLP, where he was responsible for auditing large public oil and gas companies.
Aniq holds an MBA from Rice University and is a CPA licensed in the State of Texas. He is also a Fellow member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountant and the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan (ICAP).
- Led all aspects of technical analysis and consultation on complex transactions, including communications with C-Suite, Board of Directors, Audit Committee, External Auditors and SEC Staff pre-clearance. Topics include but are not limited to consolidation, business combinations, fair value, financial instruments with debt / equity like characteristics, derivatives instruments, revenue recognition and impairments.
- Led all aspects of capital formation, including drafting Registration Statements, identifying and resolving SEC reporting issues and drafting SEC pre-clearance letters, pro forma financial statements, and responses to SEC comment letters.
- Led the entirety of various mergers and acquisitions, including initial due diligence, capital formation, deal structuring, execution, and post-acquisition integration. Support included preparation of historical and pro-forma financial statements, drafting its Form 8-K, correspondence with the SEC, and technical accounting advisory support including the application of purchase accounting.
- Served as a subject matter expert on implementation of various accounting standards, including Revenue Recognition (ASC 606), Leases (ASC 842) and Current Expected Credit Loss (ASC 326).
- As a project sponsor and key stakeholder, drove the evaluation and implementation of a new ERP and EPM accounting systems.
- Led the enhancement efforts in successfully developing and deploying a new SOX compliance program to mitigate business risks associated with certain complex business processes which resulted in the remediation of legacy control deficiencies.
- Partnered with the Corporate Development and Investment Teams on strategy-influencing structured transactions to meet business and financial objectives. Provided strategic leadership to various stakeholders regarding new acquisitions and integrating those with existing financial / reporting systems and policies.