Principle Areas of Practice
- Overall Advisory Services Relative to All Aspects of Upstream
- Midstream Investments & Operations
- Transactional Support, Due Diligence & Integration Outsourcing
- Full Subsurface, Land, Accounting & Production
- Back Office Support & Integration
- Full Operational Support & Integration
- Full System Support & Integration
- Legal & Dispute Resolution
- Full Regulatory & Compliance Support
Carl is a Partner at Opportune and serves as the Upstream Sector Leader and General Counsel. Carl has more than 25 years of business experience, including eight years as a partner with the national law firm Winstead and eight years as a senior executive in the Energy Industry. Carl and the Opportune team have unparalleled transactional experience in every major basin within the North America onshore and Gulf of Mexico for both upstream and midstream sectors, and have supported transactions ranging from $100,000 to $6 billion on behalf of financial buyers, foundations, new portfolio companies, large independents, publicly traded companies, utilities and mid-majors. Carl’s primary focus as Upstream Sector Leader is providing right-sized solutions for clients. The Upstream team continues to successfully deliver by focusing on people, processes, data and systems. Carl is very active in the community, and especially the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Houston.
- Leveraging the latest software platforms and tools, developed and implement operational and back-office policies and procedures to insure accurate data and decision-making.
- Lead on all aspects of system(s) selection and implementation for accounting, land, production, document management and workflow. The project included complex data conversion and cleanup efforts.
- Advised on 50+ system implementations and best practice design engagements for various accounting systems including Quorum, P2 BOLO, Enertia and OGSys. Projects included additional system integrations for Merrick suite, DocVue, and TIPS.
- Advise private and public companies on all aspects of mergers and acquisitions and asset acquisitions and divestitures (including all manners of due diligence – financial, land, environmental, and IT). The team led all aspects of acquisition transitional support, including Operations, Land, Accounting, Financial Reporting, Regulatory, IT and data integration.
- Lead a number of distressed/restructuring engagements (credit and debtor), including serving as Chief Restructuring Officer.
- Lead for full start-up company integration plan and execution through transition (TSA) and those of historically non-operated companies to a fully integrated operating company.
- Develop and implement regulatory reporting requirements for upstream and midstream companies.
- Serving as an Authorized Agent for numerous companies.
- Testifying and Consulting Expert.